include alias

andrewgk

Hi, I'm new to php and since it makes life so easy I decided to include it in my page and was wandering if you could help me.

First of all I wanted to make a simple menu which would apply id to the link of currently being viewed site.

And after hours of googling I made something like this:

<ul>
	<li><a<?php if (basename($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']) == "index.php") if ($id=="") echo " id='current'"; else if ($id=="home") echo " id='current'";?> href="?id=home">Home</a></li>
	<li><a<?php if ($id=="portfolio") echo " id='current'";?> href="?id=portfolio">Portfolio</a></li>
	<li><a<?php if ($id=="about") echo " id='current'";?> href="?id=about">About Me</a></li>
	<li><a<?php if ($id=="contact") echo " id='current'";?> href="?id=lol/contact">Contact</a></li>
</ul>

and since I want to make my site more "edit" friendly I include my content files in my index.php

<?php if($id) include("$id.php"); else include("home.php"); ?>

So far it works great.

As you can see if I would like to point to a file for ex. "site/images/dazy.php"

all I have to do is make a link to "index.php?id=site/images/dazy".

Here is where I have a problem...

Lets say I don't want my visitors to see all that long link or the location of the file on my server.

Is there a way I could define an alias to a link for ex.

"index.php?id=dazy" would point to "site/images/dazy.php"

and so I would just have to include a file with the list of my aliases in the index.php and then just recall them if I need to ( I'm guessing it wont work without <? ?> tag?).

Also is there a way of making my current code any smaller/better?

Sorry for my english, it is not my first language.

Thanks in advance

Got my answer on other forum...

<?php
$aliases = array("home" => "home.php",
"portfolio" => "portfolio.php",
"about" => "about.php",
"contact" => "lol/contact.php");
?>

and

<?php
$id = $_GET['id'];
if ($aliases[$id])
include($aliases[$id]); else if ($id == FALSE) include ("home.php"); else include ("404.php");
?>

Thanks anyway...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.