Testing PHP on my server

kigroy

I would like to start playing around with php and running some test scripts on my server (yes it does support php). 

But I don't want to affect the site I'm currently running nor do I want to have my beta-site searched by search engine's web crawlers. 

What do I do to make my site unsearchable?

Is there a general format that people follow when creating test folders on the their home directory?

How can I ensure security?

Thanks!

Don't even use your live web server. Setup a development system on a PC. The learning, development, and debugging will go quicker and since php scripts that are not complete and tested often have security holes, this won't expose your live server to the possibility of getting used by a spam bot script or a hacker.

Test locally on your computer. It's a pain in the ass constantly uploading and re-uploading files everytime you make a change. You can do it instantly if you do it on a local computer. So much faster.

If you are on windows, use WAMP (which I use) or XAMPP (which I don't, but people say its good).

If you are not on Windows, I'm sure someone else can tell you what to use to test locally.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.