Please critique my site.

propercritic

Hello all,

I need some expert critique here. I have been working on this site for way way to long already. The review script is not mine it belongs to http://www.review-script.com/ and was created by a guy name Tim Mousel not sure of the spelling on his last name. Great guy though. Anyway, I am having some problems with how it looks in FF. I am not sure what to do about that and I am missing some outlines on the content blocks which I don't don't know how to fix either, but hey at least it is up and running. I could really use some honest opinions on how bad it looks. Is the design just awful? This is the first website that I have ever really built. I have built others using templates but that doesn't count. I had thought it looked great until I recieved a email telling me it blows. I have not launched this site officially yet but I guess someone felt the need to tell me it looks like crap.  So now I am at a dead in on how I could improve it.

Thanks in advance and I'm greatful for any critiques. I don't know what I am doing so please tell me where I have gone so wrong. here is the site:

http://propercritic.com

I like the header. It's different, a bit minimalist and really stands out.

The "review categories" links on the front page look a little too much like the links you see on parked domains. So maybe you could throw a content box around each link to make them stand out more? Or change their color?

Also, the navigation links might look a little bit better if they were black. Other than that, good job. I think it looks pretty nice. Clean and minimalist.

Thanks, the header was easy I am a graphics person. I know Corel like the back of my hand but website's ugh. Now, if I could just figure out how to do the content boxes right. LOL, they have given me a lot of trouble. I am sure that is like the most simple thing for everyone here but for me it hasn't worked out too well. I am a major novice with websites. I get so excited when I actually get something right and it works, even if it did take me many days and really ugly mistakes like wiping out my whole site and then realizing that I didn't back it up. (Yeah that is me) ::)

I could problably handle changing the color alright. I see what you mean about the parked domain look though. hmm?

Thanks so much, now I have a direction to start working towards again. You fueled my fire.  ;D

Oh duh. I think you just made me realize why my boxes don't work. Although the reason is so simple that I am embarassed :-[ to say.

Thanks for the help.

I have been trying to improve the look in other ways as well. I added one of those simple site add on comics at the top to give the viewer a little more reason to scroll down and see more of the page. I will most likely replace it with something else later but I feel something should be there to move that box down a bit more so it isn't the first thing that hits you. I also rethought my categories and narrowed it down to 3 main categories which elminates a lot of the blue links in the that same box. I was even feeling overwhelmed by them. I still need to change the links on the navigation from grey to black I haven't had a chance to redo those images yet. I really appreciate the help.

I am really out of place here I know very little about html php css all that jazz. I just want to have a nice page and be able to update it run it. I can't imagine building sites for a living I would go insane lol. This site is purely a hobby steming from my hobby of doing online radio.  I have been reading a lot here but I don't have much to offer in the way of post because I know so little about the subject. This is a great forum though. I can't believe how big it is.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.