Database for Tasks System

FlyingIsFun1217

Hey everyone! Long time no see ;)

Anyway, my current task involves designing a system to track tasks assigned by leaders of a team, to members of the team. Currently, I've got a system to log users in (that wasn't a problem at all), but what I need help with is the design for an unlimited amount of tasks.

Essentially, I'd like each user to be able to have multiple tasks, each holding some info (such as status, assignee, assigner, original date, etc.). What I'm not sure on, is how to set up the database to handle such problems. I want to keep all tables for the system in one database, including the table I have for users.

Should I keep one huge table for each task? Have each task be a table? If I had each table be a task, how would I know which tasks were for which users (assuming that I have a HUGE amount of tasks, and a huge number of users)?

Thanks for the help on this! I really appreciate it!

FlyingsFun1217

Reading up on proper normalization will answer a lot of your questions.

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/intro-to-normalization.html

Things to consider are: what if a task is reassigned.. what if multiple people are leaders of the same task.

Having tables in the same database isn't a problem..  After you read you will start to understand how you should separate your tables, and what data should go in where.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.