Click and Edit AJAX Solution?

JasonO

Hi All,

I want to make a noticeboard for an internal staff system. The system is viewable by all staff members, but members of management (I have sessions setup to check these, so isn't the problem) should be able to edit the news and items on this noticeboard etc.

The method I planned to do this was that a member of management can click a note, and be able to edit it where by the note changes into some text box. If it's a news item then clicking a button allows a new news row to be added for the news above the others, which would also be a text box. The data would be stored in MySQL.

I'm not asking anyone to do this for me, but to start me off in a direction to go so I can do this thing via AJAX? I'm not that familiar with me, but I do think there may be a similar system to this I can easily intergrate into my system.

Your help is much appreciated :)

The term is called: "inline editing"

http://www.google.com/search?q=ajax+inline+editing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

There are a few different types out there.  The key concept is:

1)Know what element you start with, and it's contents/value

2)Know what it should become when clicked (textbox/input/other?)

3)Saving the new values

4)Restoring the element back to it's step1 form with the next content.

Thanks!

I used this site as a solution which works great, and is easy to implement: http://www.yvoschaap.com/index.php/weblog/ajax_inline_instant_update_text_20

The problem I have now is having a delete button (a small X of some kind) in the corner of each post to delete it from the database. New to AJAX and such, so isn't easy finding anything.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.