Newline and Return in MySQL to PHP

penguinin thedark

MySQL version 3.23.58

Dearest MySQL experts,

I have created a program to edit a database entry using PHP and MySQL.

The MySQL text content (for example) is:

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amor et ibam forte via sacra sicut meus est mos, nescio quid meditans nugarum totus in illis.

Accurrit quidam notus mihi nomine tantum, arreptaque manu, quid agis, dulcissime rerum?"

*Notice the paragraph break.

When I pull this entry onto the webpage for viewing using PHP ( but not to edit) it outputs:

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amor et ibam forte via sacra sicut meus est mos, nescio quid meditans nugarum totus in illis. Accurrit quidam notus mihi nomine tantum, arreptaque manu, quid agis, dulcissime rerum?"

*Notice no paragraph break.

When I select Edit so that the text comes straight from MySQL into a textarea for editing, it shows up as:

[begin textarea box]

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amor et ibam forte via sacra sicut meus est mos, nescio quid meditans nugarum totus in illis.

Accurrit quidam notus mihi nomine tantum, arreptaque manu, quid agis, dulcissime rerum?"

[End textarea box]

*Notice that the paragraph break is in place.

I have tried a replace of \r\n and \r\n\r\n (with appropriate pre-backslashes) with <p> for the html (no edit) output straight from MySQL, but it doesn't seem to work. It appears those symbols do not exist coming out of MySQL.

But after the text has been pulling into a textarea for editting, when I do the replace of \r\n\r\n with <p>, it works out fine when I refeed the content to the same webpage.

What are the symbols for the paragraph and newline breaks coming out of MySQL, if they aren't \r\n, etc.?

Humbly Yours,

Chris

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.