First attempt at clean urls need to get title from database

BandonRandon

Hello,

this is my first attempt at writing my own clean URLs using mod_rewrite. what i currently have is a link like http://bandonrandon.com/news/?action=view&id=61 and i have figured out how to rewrite this as bandonrandon.com/news/view/61 by using

RewriteRule ^news/view/(.+)/?$ news/index.php?action=view&id=$1 [L]

however i would like to also have  bandonrandon.com/news/61 do the same thing. i tried

RewriteRule ^news/(.+)/?$ news/?action=view&id=$1 [L]

that didn't work.

I would ideally like to make the URL something like news/title_of_article but don't know how to pull the title out of the database and into the URL also i read something about adding a "Hash" to the database so the hash would be "title_of_post" instead of title of post. Is this the correct way to do this.

Any Help would be great!

• 3 weeks later...

if you use the first code

the

RewriteRule ^news/view/(.+)/?$ news/index.php?action=view&id=$1 [L]

Just change the second part of it to this

RewriteRule ^news/view/(.+)/?$ news/index.php?action=view&title=$1 [L]

And get your PHP script to match up the titles.

Hope i helped

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Paul,

I could do that however the problem would be that I believe that the titles would have to be in URL format ie something "site.com/firstword%20secondword%20%thirdword" i could fix this two ways one  by adding a string replace doing something like replace" %20" with "-" or (this is probably what I'll do) add a permalink field to the database what contains what the url should be.

Another issue i see with with this is that the if i had 2 post with the same title this could cause an error and do weird crap. the "id" is auto increment meaning that there will never be 2 post with the same id.

thanks for your idea that was a good start to helping me understand clean urls. This is for a personal project so I'm not too worried about the time-line.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.