Specified number of hits per page

careym1989

Hello everyone!

I'm having trouble figuring out what I should do. I have a table in my database that will have tons of information, as it's recording traffic on my website. However, in my home-grown control panel, I want to be able to view all of the recorded information (what I imagine would be hundreds and hundreds of records).

How would I limit the number of records retrieved based on the ID per page? Additionally, how would I tell PHP to create pages of information after the first page? Obviously I could do

include("Connect.php");
$sql = "SELECT * FROM mytable ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 25";
$query = mysql_query($query);

However, that would only show the first 25 and wouldn't let me view the pages and pages of information after those 25 hits.

Let me know if anyone has a solution and/or if there needs to be more clarification.

Appreciate it, all!

-Carey

Perfect. I even hate to ask this question because you've been so helpful, but how would I go about making links to keep the pages rolling dynamically instead of me having to statically adding the number and links at the bottom?

Long question, probably an easy answer.

Thanks RussellReal!

okay.. assuming you want ALWAYS at max 10 page links at the bottom.

<?

include("Connect.php");

$page = ((!is_nan($_GET['page']))? $_GET['page']:1);

$sql = "SELECT * FROM `mytable` ORDER BY `id` ASC LIMIT ".(($page - 1) * 25).",25";

$sql2 = mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT count(*) As num FROM `mytable`"));

$query = mysql_query($query);

$start = ((($a = ($page - 5)) < 1)? 1:$a);

$pages = ($sql2['num'] / 25);

$end = ((($a = ($page + 4)) > $pages)? $pages:$a);

$range = range($start,$end);

$links = array();

if ($page > 1) $links[] = "<a href=\"Records.php?page=".($page - 1)."\">Prev</a>";

foreach ($range as $k => $v) {

$links[] = (($v == $page)? $v:"<a href=\"Records.php?page={$v}\">$v</a>");

}

if ($page < $pages) $links[] = "<a href=\"Records.php?page=".($page + 1)."\">Next</a>";

echo implode(" ",$links);

?>

THERE MAY BE A FEW ERRORS.. AS I HAVN'T TESTED THIS..

to be honest.. I really didn't read a book.. or use any tutorials.. I just kind've browsed php.net everytime I needed to find a function lol.. also, looking @ php codes that were already written kinda made me curious as to WHAT MAKES THIS SCRIPT DO WHAT IT DOES.. basically lol

if you want to keep in touch,

heres my email/MSN: RussellonMSN [AT] hotmail.com

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.