Increasing download speed to others

radstorm

Hello all, new person here.

I am running my Apache server from my desktop under win2000. It works fine mostly, but when I want to allow someone to http download a file from it i/e zip etc from a specific folder..they say it is really slow (about 15 kb/sec) I am using fast dsl elite.. download speed up to 6 mb/sec, and upload speed about 600 to 700 kb/sec. Surely Apache can do better than this with that much available speed. Is there a script or trick too make it go faster?

The maximum speed your visitors can downloaded from your server will be limited to your upload speed, not your download speed. I don't think Apache has anything to do with the download/upload speed. Its more to do with how your server is setup - hardware wise and how you're connected to the net by your ISP etc.

OK I see..I wonder if this is maybe because of using port 80, and my isp limiting upload speed there perhaps? Would changing it to another port maybe be a workaround? Or possible tweaking the settings of my ethernet adaptor...if that is even possible. I have noticed my ftp uploads work pretty quick, but then that is to my web site host godaddy, not my own server. Other than the speed issue the Apache works fine, even though it is on a windows machine. Runs php stuff with no complains :)

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.