[SOLVED] preg_replace help

Brian W

Regular expressions irritate the living shit out of me. Though what I have doesn't give me some error, it just doesn't do anything, so I'm lost.

What I want it to do is replace " "(white space) with "_" for any text within quotes.

$Cleaned = preg_replace("/(\"[a-zA-Z0-9]\")/", str_replace(" ", "_", "$1"), $string);

but like I said, nothing happens to the string.

I've been testing with $string = "\"Word Word\""

any help is appreciated, thanks

You may want to try some other tutorials via our resources.

These two paragraphs from your link cover character classes and quantifiers:

To specify a set of acceptable characters in your pattern, you can either build a character class yourself or use a predefined one. A character class lets you represent a bunch of characters as a single item in a regular expression. You can build your own character class by enclosing the acceptable characters in square brackets. A character class matches any one of the characters in the class. For example a character class [abc] matches a, b or c. To define a range of characters, just put the first and last characters in, separated by hyphen. For example, to match all alphanumeric characters: [a-zA-Z0-9]. You can also create a negated character class, which matches any character that is not in the class. To create a negated character class, begin the character class with ^: [^0-9].

The metacharacters +, *, ?, and {} affect the number of times a pattern should be matched. + means "Match one or more of the preceding expression", * means "Match zero or more of the preceding expression", and ? means "Match zero or one of the preceding expression". Curly braces {} can be used differently. With a single integer, {n} means "match exactly n occurrences of the preceding expression", with one integer and a comma, {n,} means "match n or more occurrences of the preceding expression", and with two comma-separated integers {n,m} means "match the previous character if it occurs at least n times, but no more than m times".

And here's a breakdown of the pattern:

NODE                    EXPLANATION

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(                        group and capture to \1:

"                        '"'

[^"]+                    any character except: '"' (1 or more

times (matching the most amount

possible))

"                        '"'

)                        end of \1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.