Isolating single or double digit fret numbers in guitar tabs

alpineapple

This seems like an incredibly simple task/stupid question, but I have searched and I cant find a simple way to do this. I want to take numbers from guitar tabs (ranging from 0 to around 18) and convert them to the letter form of the note that they are.

Im having trouble with taking the numbers out of the string (for example, one string might be "|----2----4-1-10-10-12-10---3|----2h3p0--|"). Right now Im using this code:

$Ehighfret = array('-0-','-1-','-2-','-3-','-4-','-5-','-6-','-7-','-8-','-9-','-10-','-11-','-12-');
$Ehighnote = array('-E-','-F-','-F#','-G-','-G#','-A-','-A#','-B-','-C-','-C#-','--D-','-D#-','--E-');
$Ehigh = str_replace($Ehighfret,$Ehighnote,$ar[0]);
echo $Ehigh . "<br />";

It needed to be '-1-'  instead of just '1' (etc) because otherwise the 10s 11s and 12s wouldnt work.

the problem with this, however, is that not all numbers have a '-' on both sides of them(ex "--3|"). Also, when a fret number is repeated (example "---3-3-3-3-3-3--") it only converts every other number (the output would be "---G-3-G-3-G-3--").

So, whats the best and quickest way for the script to find each fret number and put that into an array (or some other way to isolate each number)?

Thanks!

or

<?php
$Ehighnote = array('E','F','F#','G','G#','A','A#','B','C','C#','D','D#','E');
$test = '|----2----4-1-10-10-12-10---3|----2h3p0--|';
echo preg_replace("/(?<=-|\|)(\d+)(?=-|\|)/e",'\$Ehighnote["\1"]', $test);
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.