Filtering Input

N-Bomb(Nerd)

Hello, I've never really been good at filtering user input. I guess I've never really tried to use it so much in fear of getting hacked or something. Anyways, I'm trying to make a script that will take a users input and create a directory on my sever from what they named it. However, how would I be able to run a "check" for all symbols/spaces/quotes? I don't want them to submit it and just have the script create the directory without something they put in the name of it.. so I kind of want it to scan for anything pretty much that isn't alpha-numeric with the exception of one underscore that isn't at the start or end of the name. How would one accomplish such thing?

I could probably spend a few hours and mess around with this and figure out a separate way to do each one of these rules, but I've never really figured out how to sort of put different things together. Would anyone be willing to show me that as well.. that way at least I could turn this into a learning experience instead of someone just responding with just the answer.

if(!preg_match("~^[a-zA-Z0-9]\w*[a-zA-Z0-9]$~",$val,$match)) {
   // not valid
}

^ start of string (so first char must be an [a-zA-Z0-9])

[a-zA-Z0-9] match 1 character that is a letter or number (no underscore)

\w* match 0 or more alphanumeric characters (number, letter, underscore)

[a-zA-Z0-9] match 1 character that is a letter or number (no underscore)

$ end of string (so last char must be an [a-zA-Z0-9])

Basically it says to start at the beginning of the string, only match if the first character is a letter or number, then match any amount of numbers, letters, or underscores, all the way to the end of the string.  But then it has to match only a letter or number at the end of the string, so the * gives up the last char to see if that last [..] matches.  If it doesn't, regex fails.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.