IE6 Compatiblity

86Stang

Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to integrate a navigation I found at http://cssmenumaker.com that must be IE6 compatible (yeah, I know but it's what management wants).  They say it's IE6 compatible but the submenus don't show in IE6.  Seems to work everywhere else just fine.  I've emailed them numerous times asking for help but to no avail.  I normally wouldn't bother people with stuff like this and would move on to another menu but, again, management wants this exact menu and wants it compatible with IE6.

So, I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to look into it and let me know what might be wrong?  I've got it setup at http://skagitpublishing.com/test/nav/.  I'm not above paying someone a few bucks if that's what it takes.

You always need to start with the basics when trying to debug CSS. The CSS for your test/nav generates 18 warnings. Fix those first, and see what happens:

line 119 column 7 - Warning: <a> attribute "href" lacks value

line 135 column 7 - Warning: <a> attribute "href" lacks value

line 22 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 24 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 40 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 42 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 61 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 63 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 78 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 80 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 91 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 93 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 104 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 106 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 120 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 122 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 136 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

line 138 column 8 - Warning: trimming empty <span>

I actually tried for at least a half hour to figure out why the menu doesn't work in IE6, and I couldn't get it working. I'm sorry that your stuck with this menu, because I'd be pulling my hair out if it was my responsibility. Because I have had similar problems with other menus working in IE6, I'm going to take a guess that IE6 isn't recognizing the way :hover is being implemented, or that IE6 is evaluating the CSS specificity in a way that is unique. Sorry, but I just can't spend more time on this. Good luck.

CSS menus are hard to get fully working in earlier versions of IE, and is a quite unique skill on its own, sometimes however, we just need to take a break, and do things the generally accepted way, unless we for some reason ain't free to simply try another layout.

Not to bash your client or anything, but you are the web designer, and you are the one who is supposed to advice your client as of what is best to do. I highly doupt the majority of clients would know enough to be in the position to tell us what to do. You will quite often find that there ain't even a good reason to support earlier versions of Browsers in the first place, not saying that its the case here. But you should at least consider it, after all IE6 is a browser who's useful life has come to an end.

I cant highlight this enough, as there seam to be a very unprofessional approach, saying that even though a browser generally has ended its useful life, we should still keep supporting it no matter what, which simply isn't the case. But this would likely require a longer thread, and likely wouldn't change much in the end.

I generally stopped debugging for IE6 when IE7 was released. But Well, i would simply use JavaScript, because obviously we can't spend all our time trying to force a particular CSS layout, which normally isn't supported by a particular browser. We need some solid, and obvious tools to get the job done, CSS isn't that for older browsers, and we would be better left with tables for that.

We should instead spend more time informing our users how important it is to keep their browser updated, just as important as almost any other software.  ;D

It is important to note that the menu posted do work in IE7, XP users should easily be able to chose another browser, Firefox, Opera, Safari. Or upgrade to IE7. While win9x users can shift to Opera.

Shifting to opera might not always be practical, but it should then also be noted that Win9x ain't even supported by MS anymore. And as such, its very nice of Opera to still support win9x. I use it myself on an older computer, which i mainly use for older games.

I've had my share of problems with :hover in IE6, it will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with a easy solution. As far as i know :hover only works on links in IE6, and not on list items, that is li elements i mean.

@ SkunKbad:

Hey, you gave it a go so no apologies needed.  Thanks!

@ BlueBoden:

This isn't a client, it's my boss. :)  He knows all too well what a piece of poo IE6 is but our hands our tied because our sales staff uses software that will only function on IE6.  Don't ask me why we don't upgrade to something newer and no I didn't build it. :)

@ Mr_J:

I'll go check out that link, thanks!

if this has to do with a:hover, the IE6 hover bug may require a trigger, like

a:hover {
    font-size: 100%;
}

if font-size does not work, try color:whateverColor, or float:none, or border:none, and so on until you find one that works. The trigger point is different depending on how your overall code is. google for "ie6 hover bug".

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.