Creating Query where two variables from two tables match

slaterino

Hi,

I am trying to create a query where 'cl_course' in the 'classes' table is simply an ID number for a course. In a seperate table, 'courses' I have a corresponding ID number, called 'cou_ID' in this table, as well as a 'cou_name' field which is the name of the course.

I am therefore trying to create a query where it lists all the entries from the 'classes' table but replaces the 'cl_course' field with 'cou_name' from the 'courses' table. I have come up with a query which almost works, but lists an entry for every course as well as every class, when it should just be for every class. This is the coding I have at the moment. I have tried a number of things but can't work out where I would add some sort of class stating that 'cl_course' equals 'cou_ID'.

<?php

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM classes, courses ORDER BY cl_date", $conn);
        while($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result))
             {
               echo "<tr><td><b>";
               echo $myrow['cou_name'];
               echo "</b></td><td> ";
               echo $myrow['cl_date'];
               echo "</td><td><a href=\"edit.php?cl_ID=" . $myrow['cl_ID'] . "\">Edit</a> | <a href=\"delete.php?cl_ID=" . $myrow['cl_ID'] . "\">Delete</a></td></tr><br />";             }
?>

Thanks

Russ

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.