Form Submission stopped working..

helveticaaaaaaaa

Hey there, This is probably a really simple fix and something I'm overlooking but it seems ever since I switched to PHP5, my contact form doesn't work anymore.

I'll post the code for both and maybe someone here can help me figure out what's going on.

THIS IS THE CODE FOR THE ACTUAL CONTACT FORM:

<form id="form1" name="form1" method="$_GET" action="_includes/post/contact.php">
      <table width="294" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
        <tr>
          <td><table width="210" border="0" align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="7">
            <tr>
              <td width="196"><span class="style1">What is your name?</span></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
              <td height="20"><input name="name" type="”text”" class="txtfield" id="name" /></td>
            </tr>
          </table>
          </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <tr>
              <td width="196"><span class="style1">Your e-mail address?</span></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
              <td height="20"><input name="email" type="”text”" class="txtfield" id="email" /></td>
            </tr>
          </table></td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <tr>
              <td width="196"><span class="style1">Phone <span class="style4">(Optional)</span></span></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
              <td height="20"><input name="phone" type="”text”" class="txtfield" id="phone" /></td>
            </tr>
          </table></td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><table width="268" border="0" align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="7">
            <tr>
              <td width="254"><span class="style1">What would you like to say?</span></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
              <td height="20"><textarea name="message" id="txtarea" class="txtarea" cols="23" rows="8"></textarea></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
              <td height="20"><input type="image" name="submit" border="0" src="_includes/images/send_message.jpg" alt="Send us a Message!" /></td>
            </tr>
          </table></td>
        </tr>
      </table></td></form>

THIS IS THE CODE FOR CONTACT.PHP

<?

$to_email = "xxx@email.com"; // please change this to your email address 
$email_subject = "Send us a message!";
$thankyou_url = "http://www.xxx.com?page=success";
$pos = strrpos($email, "@");
if ($pos === false)
{ 
  echo ("You must enter an e-mail address for us to contact you at.");
  exit;
}
else
{

$a = urldecode($QUERY_STRING);$a = str_replace("&","\n\n",$a);$a = str_replace("=",": ",$a);mail($to_email,$email_subject,$a,"From: $email");
header ("Location: $thankyou_url");
}
?>

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance!

**The e-mail and web address have been removed purposely.**

Your problem is to do with register_globals.

In older versions of PHP 4, this was still turned on. It meant that all $_GET, $_POST etc variables were automatically extracted from their arrays and had local scope. It is/was a security issue, however.

You should fix this by doing the extraction yourself. E.g.:

$email = $_GET['emal']

Your problem is to do with register_globals.

In older versions of PHP 4, this was still turned on. It meant that all $_GET, $_POST etc variables were automatically extracted from their arrays and had local scope. It is/was a security issue, however.

You should fix this by doing the extraction yourself. E.g.:

$email = $_GET['emal']

I understand the concept of what you're saying, as I thought it had to do with globals, though I'm not sure what extraction to pull. - The form isn't connected to any sort of database or anything like that.

After re-reading my original post, I felt I should clarify what exactly is happening.

When a user enters their Name, E-mail address, Phone Number & Message and clicks the SEND button, it pops up the error message from the contact.php file about needing to enter an e-mail address.

That's as far is it gets. - The form doesn't send the information.

Ok, well take a look at this line:

At present, $email is undefined. When register_globals was turned on, it wasn't. Why? Because PHP was automatically extracting it from the $_GET array. You need to do the same manually. Prior to the line above, you need to insert a line:

$email = $_GET['email'];

You'll need to do the same for any other variables coming from your form too. Make sense?

Ok, well take a look at this line:

At present, $email is undefined. When register_globals was turned on, it wasn't. Why? Because PHP was automatically extracting it from the $_GET array. You need to do the same manually. Prior to the line above, you need to insert a line:

$email = $_GET['email'];

You'll need to do the same for any other variables coming from your form too. Make sense?

That makes a lot of sense. - I tried it out and the form submitted successfully, only missing all the information!

I assume that I need to add the variables for the message to make them follow through?

Here is a post of the most recent code in my attempts to try and get the other data to come through

<?

$to_email = "xxx@email.com"; // please change this to your email address 
$email_subject = "Send us a message!";
$thankyou_url = "http://www.xxx.com/?page=success";
$email = $_GET['email'];
$message = $_GET['message'];
$pos = strrpos($email, $message, "@");
if ($pos === false)
{ 
  echo ("Typical Error Message");
  exit;
}
else
{

$a = urldecode($QUERY_STRING);$a = str_replace("&","\n\n",$a);$a = str_replace("=",": ",$a);mail($to_email,$email_subject,$a,"From: $email");
header ("Location: $thankyou_url");
}
?>

which is return the error:

Warning: strrpos() expects parameter 3 to be long, string given in /home/xxx/public_html/xxx/_includes/post/contact.php on line 8

Typical Error Message

I apologize for my being a bit slow on this, I haven't really touched PHP in a while.

Did you try looking at the manual page for the function you're getting an error on? If you type the function after http://www.php.net/ then you'll get taken straight to the relevant page. E.g. http://www.php.net/strrpos

If you look though there i'm sure you'll see where you're going wrong.

Also, i would recommend you start programming with all errors turned on. Add this line:

error_reporting(E_ALL);

To the top of your script. You'll then easily be able to see the variables which are undefined (and probably just need extracting from the relevant superglobal array).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.