retrieving results of queries within nested loops with OOP

silphium

Ok, that's an ugly subject. I don't know what else to call this. I'm doing a fairly simple app for an online business student contest. All of the contest data is in MySQL: entries, prizes categories, etc. On one page I need to display past winners for each of four prize categories. A category can have more than one winner. I first run a query to obtain the name of each prize category. No problem displaying these:

foreach ($prizes as $pr)
{
echo '<pre>', $pr->name ,'</pre>';
}

I then do a foreach loop to iterate through each category, and run a query ($projects) to find the winning entries for each category within a given year. Again, no problem -- all the queries are being run correctly.

But I can't seem to retrieve and display the results of these $projects queries. If I do this:

foreach ($prizes as $pr)
{
echo '<pre>', $pr->name ,'</pre>';

foreach($projects as $p)
   {
       echo '<pre>', $p->project_title ,'</pre>';
   }
}

All I get is the same title for all prize categories -- from the last query. This seems like an issue of how to correctly iterate through the $projects queries and assign the results of each with the correct prize category. I used to do this sort of thing a lot when I did procedural PHP with PHP 4. But this is OOP in PHP 5, and I'm using a framework (Kohana). I know these are objects, maybe even iterator objects, and not the kinds of arrays I used to deal with. But I can't get my head around how to work with them in a situation like this. I'm sure that there's a simple answer. Can anyone prod me in the right direction? Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.