[SOLVED] another beginner question!

eddie21leeds

as before i am reading through the w3scools javascript tutorials. i dont get this one at all. it is an example of using the sort() method to numerically sort an array.

<html>
<body>

<script type="text/javascript">

function sortNumber(a, b)
{
return a - b;
}

var arr = new Array(6);
arr[0] = "10";
arr[1] = "5";
arr[2] = "40";
arr[3] = "25";
arr[4] = "1000";
arr[5] = "1";

document.write(arr + "<br />");
document.write(arr.sort(sortNumber));

</script>

</body>
</html>

the bit i dont get is how the sortNumber() function works... can anybody explain please??

thanks in advance!

First of all, understand that the javascript sort() function sorts lexographically (alphabetically).  That's why the sortNumber function was added...to sort the numbers numerically, not alphabetically.

On to the function...

The function returns the difference between 'a' and 'b', the two values passed.  It works because whenever 'a' is less than 'b', a negative value is returned which results in the smaller elements always appearing to the left of the larger ones (ascending).

When such a function is passed into array.sort(), the array elements are sorted based on the relationship between each pair of elements 'a' and 'b' and the function's return value.

This exact function along with additional information about the sort() function is explained in greater detail at http://www.javascriptkit.com/javatutors/arraysort.shtml

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.