Web Host, specific requirements

idire

Trying to find a UK web host, but having problems as I keep getting things missing.

I need:

Ability to access external PHP files - [ e.g. file_get_contents() ] - blocked by so many hosts..

PHP/MySQL

Cron - unlimited number of tasks

External access to MySQL databases

Ability to change timezone default in PHP to GMT (or have it GMT already)

php mail.

Had some other requirements, but cant think of them at the moment, I primarily want to use the site for development and testing, I am working on several dynamic PHP projects, they require self updating by cron tasks.

Currently using Godaddy primarily because it allows external file access, but it restricts alot of features, and its not UK currency. Current hosting bill converted is about ~£6 a month, for shared linux hosting

Thanks

Well your problem is that you're trying to look for really cheap shared hosting, so they are not going to offer all the bells and whistles.  If you want a host to offer all those things, you need to pony up more cash. 

Alternatively, since you say you're just using it for testing/development, have you considered just downloading and installing a package like wamp or xampp and doing your stuff on your own computer?

Well your problem is that you're trying to look for really cheap shared hosting, so they are not going to offer all the bells and whistles.  If you want a host to offer all those things, you need to pony up more cash. 

Alternatively, since you say you're just using it for testing/development, have you considered just downloading and installing a package like wamp or xampp and doing your stuff on your own computer?

Yeh i guess, I already run an XAMPP server, but my internet connection isnt reliable enough to be able to permenantly host websites.

and budget is pretty limited, how much is the cheapest dedicated hosting?

I'd just be happy with a shared host that had external file access really, thats the most essential requirement, as i'm working with RDF XML files.

Yeh i guess, I already run an XAMPP server, but my internet connection isnt reliable enough to be able to permenantly host websites.

Well I suggested xampp as an alternative for personal development/testing, not actually hosting your sites.  Even if your internet connection was reliable, there is a 99.9999% probability your ISP doesn't allow you to do that anyway, unless you upgrade to some kind of business account with them.

and budget is pretty limited, how much is the cheapest dedicated hosting?

I don't know.  You can google it just as well as I can.

I'd just be happy with a shared host that had external file access really, thats the most essential requirement, as i'm working with RDF XML files.

Lots of shared hosting offers external file access.  First thing you need to do is decide how much you are willing to spend, and go from there.  It may well be that the host you are currently using offers it in some upgraded package.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.