preg_match error

gish

I am using preg_match to protect my scripts.

I have two questions,

One Is this going to protect the server?

Two As it enters the script it sees that the username and password are empty. but I need them to be empty. So how do I get preg_match to let empty strings through.

<?phps
include("inc/security.inc");
//object security this test to see if the login script is has any scripting issues
$script_protector = new security($_POST['username'] , $_POST['password']);
$script_protector ->preg_match_0to9($_POST['username'] , $_POST['password']);
//security needs to return a 1 to enable the next function
if ($script_protector->security_checked() == 1){
include("inc/login.inc");
} else {
//needs to return to last figures
$_SESSION['information']['error']= 2;
include("inc/error.inc");
}
?>

<?php
class security
{
private $username;
private $password;
private $past_string;	
// this method(function) is setup for numbers only 0 to 9 and a maxium of 40 numbers	
  public function preg_match_0to9 ($username , $password){
		if (( preg_match('/^[A-Za-z0-9]+$/',$username) ) or (preg_match('/^[A-Za-z0-9]+$/',$password)) ){ 
		//this is make sure the string is not to long
				strlen($username); strlen($password); 
				if (($username >= 40) or ($password >= 40) ){
					$this->past_string = 0;
					//the security test is incorrect
					} else { 
					$this->past_string = 1;
					//the security test is correct
					}
		} else { 
		$this->past_string = 0;
		//the security test is incorrect
		}			
}
// this is function is a return value for the method (function) called   
   public function security_checked() {
            return $this->past_string;        
   }
}
?>

thanks

The to answer your question is the  file include("inc/login.inc");has three headers to chose from. The problem is that when I run the script it gets sent to include("inc/error.inc"); automatically. I need preg_match to recognizes  empty strings so that I can stop the error.

how do I do that? I googled and can't find anything?

Trust me, have a look on Perl Regex Syntax on the php.net website, look for the Assert and its respective partner \A.

You will see what i mean.

PS; i believe PERL is from the specific installation of the webserver installed. Therefor whichever version of PERL the system has will use that regex, i believe. Someone help me out on this on 1? lol.

http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/regexp.reference.php - look 

^

assert start of subject (or line, in multiline mode)

\A

start of subject (independent of multiline mode)

-------

The reason i said this is i've noticed before when people's regex dit work with ^, the \A anchor seemed to fix their problem lol. I think it is more how multiline mode is affected.

Even if perl has that restriction (which I don't know that it does, but I'm not an expert in perl), the preg_xx engine is pcre compatible, not pcre dependent.  It is a separate engine that is modeled after the pcre engine, compiled in c and part of php's internal core. I looked around in the manual and sorry, I'm just not seeing any evidence to support your claims.

so...as they say in the gaming world: screenshot or it didn't happen!  In other words, you're going to have to pony up some links about that.

I posted after your edit, so to respond to your edit:

Right.  There was never a bug or compatibility issue.  ^ just behaves differently, depending on what modifier(s) you use.  I suppose you could possibly argue that they should have made ^ stay the same no matter what, and have \A be the 'start of line' in multi-line mode.  At face value, that does seem more consistent; I have no idea why it's not done like that.  But I think it's stretching it to say it's some kind of bug that was fixed (or more accurately, bandaided).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.