Can someone look at this layout?

mazman13

I have a layout that I would like someone to look at. It looks good in IE and Firefox but I just want to make sure the way I'm laying out the site it good and everything looks right. I don't want ot get in a habbit of making sites like this when it isn't the right way.

http://mzliveonline.com/mzLive/

I'm going to add more content on the center col...

So if the top box is 200px high, would i do the second like?:

left: 410;

top: 205px;

Is that the way to do it or should I just start using floats for everything?

You should make sure the first line in your document is the doctype, otherwise some browsers might go into backwards compatibility mode.

Using floats is one option, but positioning is equally good. However, if your header isn't floated, following divisions would automatically be placed below, so there would be no need for either.

I would also recommend you stop using target _blank, its better to let your users right click on the link, if they want it to open in a new window.

You should also consider the correct usage of headings, so that they are used in the same order that they are numbered. h1 for the main heading, h2 for subheading, h3 for subheading of h2. Etc. Also consider to enclose your text in paragraphs, the text in your footer is just floating freely in a division.

You should also avoid having other block level elements inclosed in paragraph tags, use span instead of div for such purposes, and consider using the semantic tags if they apply for the case.

You should also avoid advertising for specific browsers, new versions of IE are quite better then IE6 and ealier, simply following the standards should be enough to ensure compatibility in most cases.

Seeing you use XHTML, i would also recommend serving the page with the correct mime-type.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.