[SOLVED] I suck at javascript. Need something to read the php equiv of $_GET Args

BioBob

Youre lucky, you get the short version this time.

I have a webpage, with a couple of check boxes.  These check boxes MAY correspond to what php normally refers to as a $_GET['var'] argument.  For simplicity sake, I'll call the argument Im looking for LANG.

I also totally suck at javascript.  Never bothered to learn it.  Everything else is a piece of cake that I ate a long time ago, and it made me fat.  But thats besides the point.

How do I check the GET arguments in Javascript?

For example:  Page URL:  index.htm?lang=english

Javascript:

function test()

{

if (isset($_GET['lang'])

if ($_GET['lang'] == "foo")

{

alert ("Hello Foo!");  //replacing javascript with any other function I want obviously

}

else

{

alert("Hello Bar!");

}

}

I know its not the right syntax, as Im totally unfamiliar with javascript, how do I do the equivilant in javascript?

Ok I formatted my CD rom but it didnt have any cd's in it, now what?  :P

I already had php doing form validation, I just wanted to make the form a little more user friendly by showing the user I was going to force a default option, and instead of resubmitting the form and providing an ugly error msg, to do it on the fly.  Basically 3 languages using check boxes, not radio buttons or drop down menus (I know I can set a drop down to allow to select multiple languages but half of the time people are too stupid to know what a drop down menu is or they can select multiple items, so I have to resort to the checkbox.  Essencially, of the 3 language boxes, if they are all unchecked, the default language one will recheck itself now with onblur event.  I think DJ Kat had a better answer for me.  Thx.

$lang = if ( (isset($_GET['lang'])) && (is_valid_lang($_GET['lang'])) ) ? $_GET['lang'] : 'en'; 

//is_valid_lang is defined elsewhere, just an htmlspecialchars($var,ENT_NOQUOTES,return_charset()
//and in_array(array(valid_langs))

echo "function check_lang() { 
  ( (!document.form.en.checked) && (!document.form.fr.checked) && (!document.form.es.checked) ) {
     document.form.$lang.click();  //if all boxes are empty, recheck the default box from $_GET['lang']
     }
  }\n";
//-->
HTML

<input name="en" type="checkbox" onblur="check_lang()">English?
<input name="fr" type="checkbox" onblur="check_lang()">French?
<input name="es" type="checkbox" onblur="check_lang()">¿Spanish?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.