[SOLVED] Which is faster

Lodius2000

Which do you think (or do you know) is faster

I am possibly taking up part of a project. It is to create a blog system for a larger website geared at having thousands of members, each with a blog among other things

i am thinking of having all blog entries in one table like this, in its most basic form

TABLE entries

FIELDS

id

title

entry_body

username

then we assemble each users blog from this query

SELECT (id, title, entry_body) FROM entries WHERE username = $username

or should I make a new table for each user

TABLE $username_entries

FIELDS

id

title

entry_body

SELECT * FROM $username_entries

//SELECT statements might not always use * so take that in account of your speed estimate

yes i know SELECT * statements are really fast, but i am thinking about the massive numbers of tables that mysql has to sift through before it even finds the correct one

so my question is, is it faster to have thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of entries in one table and use a WHERE clause, or is it faster to select one table from thousands and dump its contents?

I just wanna know because I dont wanna necessarily clutter the database with oodles of tables unless there is a serious speed bonus

thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.