How to restrict a variable to only numeric values?

julia k

Hello!

I recently ran into a problem, and I have no one to ask for help :(

I have implemented in one of my pages a free script for pagination, which works as expected if the values it requires are passed as they would normally be.

For example, the pagination class requires a variable to be set: ?page= and if its value is numeric then it will display the required page. So this part works.

Now, if I request the page like this: http://site.com/index.php?page='1 , notice the ' before the numeric value it will break everything that's beneath the pagination's links, ie: the page footer.

I was looking for a way to parse the value set in the page variable and retrieve only the numeric value, if any (if I don't get any value, I'll just display the first page) but I couldn't come up with anything...

to get the value from this variable, I have the following script:

<?php
    if (isset($_GET['page']))
    {
        $page =  (int) $_GET['page'];  // it breaks if any other non-numeric values are passed along
    }
?>

Can someone please help a sista' out?

well if someone is putting something like that in the url then they are probably trying to break it in the first place, and that 1 in '1 would just be some arbitrary value.  Instead of trying to filter out a number in the midst of an obvious attack attempt, simply display a default page number if it's not a positive integer within the page range.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.