[SOLVED] This is extremely tricky and hard to explain..

fender967

I need to output/echo a url depending on a combination of three variables.  I have three variables: category, subcategory, and post.  There is a different category each day of the week (assigned 1 through 7), there are 5 subcategories for each category (assigned 1-5) and there are 10 actual posts in each category->subcategory.

I've created a variable for each combination of cat-subcat-post and given it the value of that particular post's url.  So for example, if I have a post in the category "PC" and the subcategory "Battlefield 1942" and under the post for "Gameplay" then my variable looks like this:  $link142 = 'http://wwwdotthelinkdotcom';  This is because PC would be assigned as category 1, BF1942 would be assigned #4 on the list of PC games (subcategory) and gameplay would be assigned as the second post for all games.

The links that I would like to display change automatically depending on the day/month and look random.  If i try to output link.php?url=<?php $link1 = 'link' . $cat . $subcat . $post; echo $link1; ?> it will link the image to link.php?url=link142, and not to the actual url that $link142 is defined as.  What I need to do is figure out some way of putting together the right variable to output, but the only way I can think of is using the 'echo $variable' inside of the other echo.  Like link.php?url=<?php echo $link<?php echo $cat . $subcat . $post; ?>; ?>

That obviously doesn't work, but the only other way I can possibly see this working is by making a switch for each day of the week with 50 cases each. That would be 350 switches, and I need to have several of these on the page. I didn't think that having 1500 switch cases on every page load would be a very good idea.

If anyone even understands what I am trying to explain/do, I would greatly appreciate some help from real programmers that know what they're doing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.