URL Security

rashmisharma

Hello!

I have a serious security issue. Suppose my site URL is http://www.abc.com

Now I have a secure admin panel folder xyz in it and ant this folder contains a subfolder where I storing the uploaded .pdf files and only after providing a valid username & password one can download these pdfs.

But if user types the direct URL in browser http://www.abc.com/xyz/pdfFolder/filename.pdf

Then he easily access that pdf without any authentication.

Please help me. I had searched a lot on it but don’t find any solution.

Everywhere I found .htaccess file as a solution but if I do that then I wont b able to download that file even after authentication, it says a corrupted pdf file.

Its Really very urgent!

Thanks for any help

The best way is to write a delivery script in php.  All the .pdf files should be stored outside of the webroot.  Your delivery script should accept a variable like the filename to download.  It will then get the script from it's directory using one of the file opening techniques and return the contents.  You do need the script to return the proper mime header for a .pdf using the Header() function.

Because this is a script opening the file and returning it, the script can do a check first to insure the user has logged in.  I won't cover that, but typically it is handled through the use of php sessions.  You can set a session variable that the delivery script checks at the top, and it will give the user an error if they're not logged in, or redirect them to the login page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.