document.getElementById('boldStuff').innerHTML = donationAmount;
document.getElementById('donation').value = donationAmount;
}
</script>

<input type="text" id="amount">
<input type='button' onclick='changeText()' value='Change Text'/>

<p>donate <b id='boldStuff'>$0.00</b> </p>      

<input type="hidden" id="donation" name="amount" value="0.00"/>

i didn't include the whole form, just the input for the amount. The form works by itself, and the 'boldstuff' amount changes with "changetext()". But it doesn't change the input value, what am i doing wrong?

you don't have to change the style of the input field; the text will automatically be inserted in the field whether it is a text input field or a hidden input field; but if you will just set it to text; you will see the value change for yourself. you can change it back to a hidden field; when you get done viewing the value change.

even with it hidden, the "changetext()" function doesn't change the value of the form, but something you posted did solve my problem. Just change the input to text instead of hidden and the user can just input what ever they want. thanks for the idea.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.