database column activity script...need help

vonnero

I have deleoped a cumminity website.... I am trying to create a script that will notify users as soon as they recieve a message and also show the number of messages unread.

I am using mysql INSERT INTO to insert the message to the email table... I am not sure how to show users how many unread messages waiting for the... or how to show unread messages....

any assistance at this time will be a life saver.... or online tutorials....

Thanks in advance.

I have a rough idea what you mean, would help if you posted the code though.

You could use mysql_num_rows when you select all of one persons unread mail, so they have 3 mail unread it'll return 3, then use that for the notification, say -

$NumReturn=mysql_num_rows($QUERY);

echo "You have ";
echo $NumReturn;
echo " unread messages!";

The query would be selecting all from table(table being a user's mail) where $SomeVariable=1 (1 being unread).

I could be completely wrong, only started learning PHP/MySQL about a week ago, but I think that could work..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.