phpMyAdmin won't connect to MySQL

jayman2

Hi,

I've got php and mysql setup and running fine on my pc.  I'm running windows xp.  I've installed a few php apps, that don't require mysql on localhost.  They run great.  But I cannot get into phpmyadmin.  At first I was getting errors, but I tweaked my system to where I don't get anymore errors.  When I bring up h**p://localhost/phpmyadmin and enter my login, root with no passward, I get a box on top that says "x access denied".  If I try with no password, the screen just sits there and the progress bars at the bottom of my browser just slowly go about half way across.  In my config.inc.php I have user set as root with no password.  I've tried root root and I've tried without any username or password and neither work. 

I've been googling this, but I can't find the soulution.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Try using this for a config.inc.php:

<?php
$cfg['Servers'][1]['host'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][1]['extension'] = 'mysql';
$cfg['Servers'][1]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
$cfg['Servers'][1]['compress'] = false;
$cfg['Servers'][1]['auth_type'] = 'http';
?>

Thanks for your reply.  I put that info in my config.inc.php and tried again.  The first time a windows login box popped up, saying a username and password was required.  I clicked on ok and the webpage came up with the "! Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message.  Now everytime I go to h**p://localhost/phpmyadmin and try to login, that page displays.

so, can you connect to mysql server via the command line as root?

mysql -u root -p

I can get to the mysql> prompt, but when I entered that command I got a password prompt.  I entered root and got an error.  Now this is how my cmd window looks.

mysql>

->

->

whatever I enter, I just get another one of those prompts.  If I type help, I get a list of commands.

I had tried that mysql-init.txt, thru windows, following that tutorial link above.

if you get the mysql prompt, then you have connected to the mysql server (fyi, typing 'quit' there next time will exit the prompt)

open a new browser window, go to phpmyadmin again, and use the same username/password in the prompt that comes up

Thanks for your help.  I'm going to keep on trying and searching for more info.  Maybe I'll uninstall everything and try and start from scratch.

I found a great, FREE application.  It's called HeidiSQL.  In my opinion, it's much better than phpmyadmin.

After you install it, you just enter your password to connect to mysql and everything you could ever want is right there.  You can create/delete databases/create users/drop tables/import & export/backup & restore/generate reports and more.  As soon as I connected to mysql, all of the databases that I had created from the command prompt were right there.  I'll never use phpmyadmin again, except on my web provider's site.  Here's the link:

hxxp://www.heidisql.com/

Just scroll down to the bottom app.  This should help anyone having a problem using phpmyadmin.  As a result of my googling, I know there are a lot of those people out there.

I forgot to mention.  I've got smf 1.1.8 installed and running on my local windows machine.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.