[SOLVED] problem getting php and IIS working together

Hi I'm new here and want to put a problem for solution.

I try to build a development site on my computer running under XP.

Internet server is IIS 5 php version 5.2.9 I installed IIS and that works fine with html; pages. I installed php 5.2.9 with the Windows installer package

I tried to show a page with only the function phpinfo() in it. Nothing showed,  only after long time a CGI timeout. Checked windows environment and the path to C:\program files\php is added and operational. In that location the php.ini file is present. running php -i from command prompt shows the properties of php. So php is also running properly. I read various posts on this subject but no solution. Where do I start to get the thing working? thanks in advance

Is there a reason you are using IIS (other than it came with Win XP)? Apache is much easier to get php to work with than IIS.

The php .msi installer is not very usable. It does not tell you what it is doing and when it does not work it does not provide any information. Once you get php working with the web server using it, you will then have problems getting the php extensions working. It is much better to use the .zip package, read the php installation instructions (comes with the .zip php package) and manually install php or use one of the WAMP (Windows/Apache/Mysql/Php) all in one packages.

A little late maybe, but there is no particular reason for using IIS. A couple of years ago I used the combination which did work but now I cannot get it back to work. I tried to follow your suggestion to use the zip file but I couldn't get that to work either. Finally I used the wamp2 server package and indeed like you told me this is easier. I have it installed and manage to get html pages from the apache server, and when I tried a php page, I got parse errors. Not that I want these but it indicates to me that the thing is coming alive. I have to study the configuration of the set up and when finished I let you know.

But thanks for your advice.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.