Send Text Messages To Phones Using PHP?

Punk Rock Geek

My goal is to be able to enter text into a form, click submit, and then that text will be sent to every phone number I have entered into a database.  The actual coding for this part doesn't sound too complicated.

The problem is to do with something called an "SMS Gateway."  I have no idea of what that is.  I don't know what it does.  I don't know how or where to install it.  But apparently, I need one?

I came across a free one from Kannel.org.  It was only after I read the installation instructions did I notice that this probably isn't what I want.

2.4 How do I unpack and compile the gateway?

These instructions work with Linux systems, but should be generic enough for other Unix-like systems:

gunzip < gateway-VERSION.tar.gz | tar xvf -

cd gateway-VERSION

./configure

make

(Replace `VERSION' with the version number of the gateway you downloaded.)

Kannel's program is made in C++, and I need something PHP specific.  Is anyone able to help me out here?  Do I need a SMS Gateway, and if so, do you have any recommendations?

It depends in which country you live... Here in the netherlands i use such a SMS gateway... it works by signing up to their site, by which you obtain an username and password.

When you wanna send a sms, you just post a XML to their service with the username + password and contents of the sms, and they will deliver it to the phone.

should be easy to find, just type sms-gateway <country> in google and it should send you to the proper spot

cheers

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.