[ HELP! ] exclude file endings and file start!?!

ztealmax

Hello again forum, i have a question that i hope you think is simple:

Have this code that excludes file endings that ends with .news

Is it possible to get it to exclude anything after first filename

for example if the filename is:

dragons.about.news

and when i use the script i want it only to show

dragons (dragons could be anyname i was hoping i could use like * or something

however if i modify this script further i would like to get it to show the following

about and this could be anything also so i would like it to show whatever is written between

first text and last text

here is my small code

<?php

$dir = "news/";
  $dh  = opendir($dir);
  while (false !== ($filename = readdir($dh))) 
{
   $excludenews = '/\.news$/';

if(preg_match($excludenews,$filename))
   {
      /*    You can proceed because the file has the extension .zip       */
   $filename = ereg_replace($dir, "", "$filename");
  $filename = ereg_replace(".news", "", "$filename");
echo "<a href='?content=read&contents=".$dir."Catogory.".$filename.".desc'>" . $filename . "</a><br>";
   }
}

?>

Does this make any sense? Ask me if you dont understand what im asking or

if you want to know more about how im thinking

Cheers

Martin

There are several ways to accomplish what you are looking for, so I'm not sure what will be best for you. My first impulse is to just use the split method.

$filename = "dragon.about.news";

$namearray = split(".", $filename);

echo $namearray[0]."<br />";
echo $namearray[1];

output would be:

dragon

about

come on now, I'm not gonna make any bad comments here but your are trying to be at least a hobby programmer right?

Both solutions above will work with any input string they simple break the string into parts via the split or the explode function. Though I have to admit the documentation does say that explode is a better choice than split if you do not need to use regular expressions.

come on now, I'm not gonna make any bad comments here but your are trying to be at least a hobby programmer right?

Both solutions above will work with any input string they simple break the string into parts via the split or the explode function. Though I have to admit the documentation does say that explode is a better choice than split if you do not need to use regular expressions.

well as i see the code you have to know what filename it is before, and as i dont know that until its done

$string = "dragons.about.news";

states its a file name that exists right?

but ofc i could get it to get names from filelisting

and yes im new to this thats why im trying to get hints and tips how to do things.

I simply used a bit of code to demonstrate the use of the split function. I just assigned the variable to a static string value, you of course would have to derive the value as needed for your specific application.

As you move forward in the learning process it will be rare to get someone to show you exactly the answer to your specific problem. More often than not they will point you to or give you the tools/info neccessary to accomplish the task.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.