[SOLVED] Validation Problem

mark110384

Hey guys I'm goin through my work website and validating it, below is the url of a validation for one of the pages. I am having a problem the 2 close tags that the validator say are not open, one </a> and </p>, if I remove them it has an effect on the scrollable right icon button and places the hit area above the button, this only occurs in FireFox. It validates when the tags are removed but the it causes the problem in FF.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lilleyandgillie.co.uk%2F2009%2Fproducts%2Fview_item.php%3Fitem_selected%3Ddualhead&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.606

The coding is as follows

<script type="text/javascript">

sts_bs("jwscroller2e8e",[20080623,"images/","","blank.gif",6,0,0,5,"100%","center",3,3,150,150,1,0,0,0,0,2000,1,12,2,"stEffect(\"scroll(Rate=24,enabled=0,Duration=0.80)\")",-2,30],["solid",1,"#999999","#FFFFFF","","repeat"]);
			sts_sca(["center","middle","center","middle"],["arrow03_lt.gif","arrow03_lt.gif","arrow03_ld.gif",22,18,"arrow03_rt.gif","arrow03_rt.gif","arrow03_rd.gif",22,18]);

sts_tbd([0],
			["solid",1,"#E6EFF9"]);

</script> 
                    <?php
	//Php to populate the item scroller

$sql = "SELECT * FROM item_details ORDER BY sts_id";

$result = mysql_query($sql) or die  ("Data not found");

while ($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result))
	{
		$image = $myrow['item_thumb_url'];

$stsid = $myrow['sts_id'];

$item_no = $myrow['item_no'];

$item_name = $myrow['item_short_name'];

$item_desc = $myrow['item_desc'];

$item_code = $myrow['item_Code'];

$space    = ' ';

?>

sts_ai("i<?php $stsid; ?>",[1,"<p align=\"center\"><a class=\"page_content_link\" href=\"<?php echo "view_item.php?item_selected=$item_code"; ?>\"><?php echo $item_no; ?> - <?php echo $item_name; ?></a></p>","","_self","<?php echo $image; ?>",130,130,"center"],["transparent","8pt Arial","#000000","none","8pt Arial","#000000","none"]);

</script> 
                    <?
	}	
	?>

sts_es();

</script>

Thanks

I removed the <p> and that fot rid of 52 of the errors but there is still 52 errors from the <a> tag, I changed the coding so I put the php into js variables like so

var item_code = "<? echo $item_code; ?>";

var item_number = "<? echo $item_no; ?>";

var item_name = "<? echo $item_name; ?>";																																			

sts_ai("i<?php $stsid; ?>",[1, '<a href=\"view_item.php?item_selected=' + item_code + '\" class=\"page_content_link\">' + item_number + " - " + item_name + '</a>',"","_self","<?php echo $image; ?>",130,130,"center"],["transparent","8pt Arial","#000000","none","8pt Arial","#000000","none"]);

</script> 

But it has made no change and it still comes up with the same error

end tag for element "A" which is not open.

the validation can be found at

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lilleyandgillie.co.uk%2F2009%2Fproducts%2Ftotaltide.php%3Fitem_selected%3Dtotaltide&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.606

any ideas, I'm stumped.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.