[SOLVED] the best way to echo a var on another page

supergrame

im not to good at explaining what i want but ill give it a go,

i have a login form called loginhtml.php and it posts to loginphp.php now if the user is in the DB it will go to members area if not it will output a wrong user name, the thing is it echo that on the loginphp.php, its just blank with wrong username and pass witch is what is meant to happen but i want that to redirect back to the login form and print it out there. i hope that makes scene, i could assign it to a global variable but im sure there is another way. i was thinking of redirecting back with header: loginhtml.php but it wont have a clue about that error, I am a newbie at this but slowly getting better.

phpfreaks is mean place to learn and get help:D

well i hope that makes scene to you all if not ill try to reexplain it

thank you

:P

yea i no i can redirect back but the issue is the error generated via loginphp.php wont get posted to the loginhtml.php page witch is what i want. maybe im just not thinking outside of the squre this php stuff really messes up my brain i guess in time it will be easier to follow and a lot less of a headache, but so far PHP is awesome im getting so addicted

I recommend you do not use javascript for this at all.

You should use a redirect when the user input is correct otherwise it should redirect to the form it self

<?php
//you should catch if the login was correct somehow if the login was correct then redirect
if(validlogin){
  header("Location: your_secured_page.php");
  exit();
}
?>
<form action="thisformname.php" method="post">
  <input type="text" name="username" value="<?php echo(isset($_POST['username']))?$_POST['username']:"";?>"/>
  <input type="password" name="password" />
</form>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.