upload large files in chunks

bobbinsbro

hi all.

i am working on a website for a client whose host only allows uploads to be up to 8MB per file. users of this site may legitimately attempt to upload larger files. is there any way to make the client post the file in chunks and reassemble them on the server?

i found a thread on a different forum referring to a java applet that does this, but i'd rather use a php solution if at all possible. i thought i'd try to use javascript to split the file into chunks and send each chunk with an XHR, but i discovered only IE allows file manipulation in js via active-x (which makes sense, as allowing js to manipulate files would be a tremendous security problem).

is there anyone out there who has any inkling how this can be done in a java-free way?

U may want to look at hjsplit.

It may add some inconvencience to the user on his end.

as they have to split the file on their end first, upload the individual parts.

but if has a number of flavors, including one for php (so u can look at and create a script to rejoin the split parts). Including a java version (so they dun need to install anything on their pc, just run the java version from yer site, split the file on their pc, and upload the pieces).

Anyways good luck

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.