Several Theory PHP Questions

Bopo

Hi

Basically I'm having to create a simple blog, which has most of the typical features of blogs, I've made good progress, however I have a few questions before I venture any futher that I would like input on.

First, blog post are always displayed in reverse chronological order, newest first, I'm using a mysql table with the date, an unique id, author, and post fields. I was thinking of running an sql query to select the records via ascending date and limit it to just 4 records, therefore the page doesn't become cluttered, my real question is how would I separate the records, so I could display them in different parts of a website layout, so they are not all bunched together, like:

<div box>

1strecord

</div>

</br>

</br>

<div second box>

2nd record

</div> etc

Secondly, I want allow the user to create categories for specific blog posts, I'm assuming you use some php to create a new kinda on index page page called for example 'lifestyle', and then all the lifestyle pages would appear on that page.

Finally, I really have no idea about generating links/pages to display content once it has been stored within the database, so any links to guides about this would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

1) You would need another column in your table to seperate the content. e.g. create a table with a column name 'catagory'. Then call the lists with this as a clause.

2)To allow users to create their own catagories, you just create an extra <input> field for them to name their catagory.

Then to display the link you would need to run through a loop to get all the available catagories and assign each to the same page but using a GET value.

e.g.

Lets say I want a catagory called 'cars'.

I enter this, it gets put into your database and in the catagory column goes 'cars'.

Then to echo out the links use a loop:

while($row = $sql_query->fetchObject())

{

echo '<a href="www.my_catagory_page.php?catagory='.$row->catagory.'">'.$row->catagory.'</a>';

echo '<br />';

}

Then when a user clicks this link they will get taken to:

www.my_catagory_page.php?catagory=cars

Then in you script for your my_catagory_page.php  you need to do somthing like this:

$catagory = $_GET['catagory'];

$result = $conn->query("SELECT * FROM table WHERE catagory = '$catagory'");

$data = $result->fetchObject();

$id = $data->id;

$author = $data->author;

$post = $data->post;

$catagory = $data->catagory;

Then you can echo these out like:

echo 'The id of this post is: '.$id.'<br />';

echo 'The author of this post is: '.$author.'<br />';

echo 'The message of this post is: '.$post.'<br />';

echo 'The catagory of this post is: '.$catagory.'<br />';

Hope this is of help.

Hi

Thanks for the insightful post, it has helped alot, so I have followed your advice, and create a page name categories as in your example and used the following code

<?php

include('blogconnect.php');

while($row = $sql_query->fetchObject())
{
  echo '<a href="www.my_catagory_page.php?catagory='.$row->catagory.'">'.$row->catagory.'</a>';
echo '<br />';
}

?>

I'm quite sure the row and sql_query variables need to be set for this to work, the thing it I don't know what kinda of mysql I require, and I don't really know what to do with $row.

I will be reading up in the mean time until I get a responce

Thanks again.

When you make a query (and it's successful) it'll return a single row from the table.

Imagine a spreadsheet in Excel. First row A will be returned, then row B and so-on.

So some code like this:

$sql="SELECT * FROM blog ORDER BY id LIMIT 0,4 DESC";
$query=mysql_query($sql);
while ($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($query)) {
  echo 'CHUNK OF DATA:<br />';
  echo $row['id'].'<br />';
  echo $row['author'].'<br />';
  echo $row['post'].'<br />';
  echo $row['category'].'<br />';
}

That will return something like this:

CHUNK OF DATA:
fred willis
owner
human
spot
pet
dog
charlie willis
son
human
polly
pet
bird

The "LIMIT 0,4 DESC" shows the last 4 in reverse order.

That what you mean?

yeah u need to use the last guys post instead of the functions I gave you such as mysql_fetch_assoc($query);

Because the ones I use are if you are using PDO with php, so sorry about that confusion.

The idea of $row is to find the row in your table and find the data it holds in each column. Its basically a handle.

$row->data  = means 'go and get me this 'data'' then when u echo it it will show the value of that column. I wont go on to much i think i am just confusing the situation...I have it in my head but cant explain it its late...

Yeah that's what I was looking for, I had to modify the query a little to get it working, below is the working version for future users

$sql = "SELECT * FROM blogposts ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 0, 3;";

Now the tricky bit is, generating links for the categories and a 'more' link for each of the articles, as it wouldn't be practical to show all the content for each blog post on 1 page.

If anyone has a clue on how to do this, I'd appreciate input :).

Well to select a few of the words there is a MYSQL function for this:

SUBSTRING_INDEX(post,' ', 4) AS words

Now just select this and output it, that should get you the first 4 words from 'post'.

I have actually shown you how to create links for the catagories, unless im not understanding you right...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.