Get element by ID to complete a URL string

dhcrusoe

All,

I'm working with a bit of pesky ASP code, and have a challenge I'd love some help with. The challenge is this: the ASP outputs one tag that I need to use twice. Here's a code example of what I have:

<a id=newestuser href="http://www.test.com/user?name=tom"></a>

and here's a code example of what I need:

<a id=newestuser href="http://www.test.com/user?name=tom">tom</a>

Either that, OR the javascript could simple read in the variable (tom) and output it twice - once into the href tag, and once into the link/title area of the <a> tag.

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas? (I'm a beginner JavaScripter -- sorry if it's a basic question, and thanks for your help!)

--Dave

Hey there --

I'm editing an installed version of DotNetNuke, and the modules that output the ASP are already compiled. So, there isn't much I can do to access everything, unless I were able to get into the source & recompile the module. So, in this case, I really (really) prefer to go the non-ideal JS route (even though, yes, it's FAR better to go with ASP).

The basic problem I'm having is that, in the code, it won't let me repeat a tag twice, for instance:

<asp:Label id="lblAuthor" Runat="server" cssclass="blog_Description"></asp:Label></TD>

I'd far prefer that method, but nothing I've tried has worked..

Thanks!

--Dave

Is the id for the anchor tag known to you before hand? i.e., can your js script know what id to look for?

If so, a document.getElementById() and some slicing could extract the value of name= and insert it into the innerHTML.

If you don't know id before hand, then you can use a getElementsByTagName type deal, and check them all to see if they have anything for their innerHTML. If they don't, then do the slicing/inserting.

Hopefully that makes sense.

off the top of my head and untested:

window.onload = function ( ) {
  var eles = document.getElementsByTagName('A');
  var matches;
  for(var n=0;n < eles.length;n++){
    if(eles[n].innerHTML == '' && matches = eles[n].href.match(/user?name=(.+)$/))
      eles[n].innerHTML = matches[1];
  }
}

Hey all --

In the end, here's how it was resolved:

<script type="text/javascript">
function createLink() { 
var link = document.getElementById('userlink').innerHTML;
var newLink = 'http://www.test.com?user=' +link;
window.location = newLink;}
</script>

<a href="javascript:createLink();" id="userlink">test</a>

Thanks for all your help!

--Dave

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.