mysqli locks up call for 5 seconds

I've boiled my problem down to the following:

- I've got a one line test.php script that ONLY does echo 'test';

- when I load mysqli in php.ini the page takes 5 seconds to load. It displays fast enough, but it's like it's not able to close the output buffer, I can see my browser in a wait state and then, after 5 seconds or so, it's loaded

- when I do NOT load mysqli in php.ini the page this runs fine and fast.

I'm having the newest versions of both php and mysql (both installed from fresh installers yesterday), on an win2003 iis box. Strange thing is, I tried installing fresh another, win2000 box and this has the same problem. Both Firefox and IE on several client-machines (including localhost) give these problems, so it's not a browser or network issue.

I don't get it. To be explicit: I'm not doing any stuff or anything database related in the script, just the entire script is echo 'test';

Any ideas somebody?

Is php running as a server module or a cgi application and does mysqli code  work? Are there any related errors in the web server error log (should be the Windows event log for IIS.)

And if you used the php .msi installer, don't. Manually install php.

It sounds like php is installed as a cgi application and the mysqli extension is not loading correctly.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.