[SOLVED] Setting up MySQL

Tarin

What OS are you using. What are you using MySQL for? There are many tutorials for installing MYSQL on the net.

If you using Windows you can download the .msi installer and run through the prompts to install MySQL, as this tutorial shows.

If you're using an *nix OS you can either compile MySQL yourself or install MySQL from your distributions software repositories.

• 2 months later...

I have tried to install MySQl on a number of systems and frankly its a pig. As an example - once you do an install the uninstall doesn't actually uninstall everything. You need to play hide and seek and manually remove files  & data left behind (including in the register)

Any way the most common problem I have is that I run the install - yes as admin - on WinXP Pro I accept all the defaults, do a restart after the install, run the config. utility, accept all the defaults, define a root password, click execute and then the MySQL service fails to start. End of story. That has happened and because the uninstall doesn't actually unistall....

Any suggestions?

... click execute and then the MySQL service fails to start. End of story. That has happened and because the uninstall doesn't actually unistall....

This is most probably because MySQL is trying to install/start an existing service that may be running. This problem can be caused from not properly shutting down mysql before uninstalling.

Whenever I uninstall MySQL I always perform a backup of any databases I wish to keep followed by stopping the mysql service (via services.msc). You should then proceed to uninstall MySQL. The only files the uninstaller will leave behind is the data directory (this is where your databases are stored) and my.ini

If the service has stopped the uninstaller should also remove the service too. When installing a new MySQL version it should start up fine.

If you are having issues with the service not starting then go back a few steps to where you setup the root password. On the same step there should be an option to use a different name as the mysql service, default is usually mysql. Try changing it to mysql5.

• 1 month later...

What OS are you using. What are you using MySQL for? There are many tutorials for installing MYSQL on the net.

If you using Windows you can download the .msi installer and run through the prompts to install MySQL, as this tutorial shows.

If you're using an *nix OS you can either compile MySQL yourself or install MySQL from your distributions software repositories.

Thanks alot for the help. The topic you sugested really worked for me. Thanks alot....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.