Find the placement of an Entry in MySQL

theflea912

The title doesn't really provide enough of a description.  I know PHP well enough that I could select an entry via WHERE and LIMIT clause.  Here is the problem:

I have a bunch of entries in a table, sorted by time (ASC so the "winning" time is the first entry).  I need to find a users entry in that list and return its placement.  So if they got 3rd place out of 5 people, it would return a 3, and so on.  I have no idea how to do this.  My first idea was to combine each row into an array, and than do array_search for the ID of the user, but that didn't work.  How would you go about doing this? 

Thanks for the quick response. I edited the SQL from one of the examples to:

$new = "SELECT count(*) AS rank FROM (SELECT * FROM workouts WHERE distance='$distance_of' AND ranked='Yes' > (SELECT * FROM workouts WHERE rowerid='$userid_func' AND distance='$distance_of' AND ranked='Yes') ORDER BY time ASC)AS s";

When I run it though, I get "Operand should contain 1 column(s)". I do not know SQL really all that well, so can someone explain what is going on?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.