[SOLVED] Force a browser to use CSS pseudo class

phil88

I'm having a issue with IE7 and CSS. I've made a site that uses AJAX to retrieve the content needed for each page without the browser needing to navigate away. When a link is clicked and the javascript does its thing and stops the browser navigating away, IE7 doesn't return the link to a:link or a:visited styles- instead, it 'gets stuck' on a:active. So, once a link is clicked, it's stuck with a red border underlining it when it should revert back to having no border - the a:link and a:visited states.

Is there a way to force a browser to use a pseudo class?

This is the CSS I'm using for the links;

#navLinks a:link,
#navLinks a:visited{
color: black;
text-decoration: none;
font-size: 24px;
font-family: Verdana;
font-weight: 500;
margin-right: 10px;
}
#navLinks a:active{
border-bottom: 8px solid #8f2c2c;
}
#navLinks a:hover{
border-bottom: 8px solid #6aaaaa;
}

Still no luck. I was sceptical of your second suggest because it's handling all the pseudo classes fine (including :hover), it's just not reverting to using :link or :visited when the link is no longer :active, but I tried it anyway.

I've uploaded what I have so far, so you can see exactly what I mean. You can view it here. Click on the main navigation links in the top right of the page using IE7 to see what I mean. Unlike every other browser, IE7 keeps each link :active (red underline) even when the javascript is finished.

Thanks for the info.

I managed to do a bit of a botched fix. Because the only thing that changes from :active to :visited is the border, I just used javascript to set the CSS to border:0; after the AJAX has generated the page. Not ideal, but it works.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.