Installation not working, newbie please treat gently!

Hi guys

I have just installed PHP on my Win XP SP 3 machine, to test files before they go up to the server and it seemed to go fine. I also installed apache. However when trying to view .php files, they open in code view in the browser instead of the page showing.

Does anyone have any idea where I've gone wrong?

PS yes I've read post http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,240991.0.html, but it's gobbeledegook to me!

OK, I have server root set in the conf file:

ServerRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2"

and also:

PHPIniDir "/program files/php/"

LoadModule php5_module "/program files/php/php5apache2_2.dll"

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

IN the PHP ini file, I have set the same:

doc_root = C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/

I can't see anything else I need to change.

Am I missing something?

So...I uninstalled apache and php, and installed wamp server instead.

WAMP is running fine, server online, connects to phpmyadmin and sqllitemanager, and the server configuration page comes up when I go to localhost.

However, try and run a PHP file there, and it just views the page code in the browser.

Where the heck am I going wrong?

phpMyAdmin is used to manage your MySQL Databases. All databases are stored within the MySQL's data/ folder. As you're using wamp this folder is located in C:/wamp/bin/MySQL/mysql5.1.32

You should not move/modify the files generated by MySQL as this could corrupt your MySQL databases.

Before doing anything you should read up on the basics of MySQL. You should also have a good understanding of the basics of PHP too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, while I'm waiting for help, I managed to make a database using PHP myadmin. However, it gives you no clue as to where the database is stored. How can i find it?

This is so frustrating.

my friend there is bunch of clips about how to deal with wampserver on the youtube. I think you better watch them and learn more.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.