Image Map Overlay Problem

Ease

I'm trying to make an image map for a basic game, whereby clicking on a region will take you to another page.  Simple enough.  However, dependent on a MYSQL database field, I also want to overlay a colour over one of these regions (I'm trying to use an image file with transparency), but naturally if the image is on top of the image map you can't click the region of the image map, and as the regions aren't rectangular the overlay images overlap.

I'm finding it hard to explain, so please have a look here:

http://ease.icyblu.co.uk/Map.php

Is it possible to have 'click-throughable' images?  Or would it be relatively easy/simple to 'edit' the base image map?

I had a look, and although extremely interesting, the site didn't exactly cover the problem I have at hand.  The problem I have is that images put on top of the image map are not meant to be square, but the browser (and all other programs) see them as squares, albeit with the majority transparent.  How can I make it so that you click "through" the transparent parts?  If that is not possible, then acting as if that image wasn't even there would work as well, as I can build non-square 'hot-spots' onto the image map below.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.