Character encoding problem

dc_jt

Hi

I have recently imported a lot of data into my database, however a lot of the content contains characters such as � and ¿½ etc. These seem to be the apostrophes and speech marks. I have tried using a str_replace to replace them with the correct html for an apostrophe or a speech mark but it doesnt seem to work. Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks

You can try converting the tables to utf8_bin... Also make sure you are using a UTF8 connection, this provides the broadest range of character support.

Thanks but im not quite sure how I would do this? Would I have to re-import the data? Is there anyway I can simply encode the characters on the front end when I echo it out?

Sounds like you've got Microsoft's "smart quotes syndrome" :D

Using Google you can find quite a few scripts to go through and replace all these codes with proper characters. I recall a similar problem a while back on here and some handy code was posted - try searching for it ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.