[SOLVED] Using mysql_real_escape_string(), but still interpret slashes literally

batch

I'd like to have MySQL read queries that contain a " \ " literally - even after they have been mysql_real_escape_string()'d. For example:

$match = "Ti\m";
$match = mysql_real_escape_string($match);

SELECT *
FROM table
WHERE name = '$match'

Executing this query returns all rows where it matches the name Tim.

However, I want it to only return rows where it exactly matches the string Ti\m. I know I can force this behavior by adding an extra slash (ie. Ti\\m), but why doesn't it work by default?

Isn't mysql_real_escape_string() supposed to escape the string BUT RETAIN ITS ORIGINAL MEANING?  ???

The problem is because mysql treats The \m in Ti\m as just an m. So, you must actually double the \\ before the mysql_real_escape_string() function is applied.

The code -

$match = "Ti\m";

$match = mysql_real_escape_string($match);

would give "Ti\\m", but when it is parsed by mysql, that gives "Ti\m", which is the same as "Tim" because 'm' is not a special character that needs to be escaped.

However, that would imply that you have a function that tests if the \ is followed by a special character or a normal character and only doubles it if it is followed by a normal character.

I just wanted to share some more information with you. It turns out mysql_real_escape_string() doesn't escape all special characters. For example the % and _ operators for a LIKE clause are not escaped. To properly sanitize the input and literally interpret the $match query I use addcslashes() after mysql_real_escape_string().

$match = "Ti\m";
$match = mysql_real_escape_string($match); // Escapes \x00, \n, \r, \, ', " and \x1a 
$match = addcslashes($match, "\\%_");  // Escapes \, % and _

Notice how addcslashes() escapes the backslash character (" \ ") again. This is intended behavior so MySQL will interpret the backslash literally. To show you the flow of events:

Without addcslashes()

"Ti\m" -> escapes to "Ti\\m" -> MySQL unescapes to "Ti\m", unescapes to "Tim" (since "\m" is also treated as a sequence to be unescaped).

With addcslashes()

"Ti\m" -> escapes to "Ti\\m" -> addcslashes to "Ti\\\\m" -> MySQL unescapes to "Ti\\\m" -> one literal slash + "\m" -> MySQL unescapes "\m" -> result: "Ti\m"

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.