cant upload image file

ultimachris

Hi all, this is the php script im using so users can upload an image to my server, but for some reason i get a T_string error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ']' in /home/vol5/byethost14.com/b14_3115753/htdocs/urbantickets/do_upload.php on line 5

This is the script:

<?php
$file_dir = "htdocs/urbantickets/widgetimg";
$file_url = "http://ultimasandbox.byethost14.com/urbantickets/widgetimg";
foreach($_FILES as $file_name => $file_array) {
echo "path: ".$file_array['"tmp_'name"]."<br />\n";
echo "name: ".$file_array[''"name"]."<br />\n";
echo "type: ".$file_array["'type'"]."<br />\n";
echo "size: ".$file_array[''"size"]."<br />\n";

if (is_uploaded_file($file_array['"tmp_'name"])) {
move_uploaded_file($file_array['"tmp_'name"],
 "$file_dir/".$file_array["name"]") or die ("couldnt copy");
 echo "file was moved!<br />";
 }
}
?>

and this is the HTML:

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="do_upload.php" method="POST">
Please choose a file: <input name="uploaded" type="file" /><br />
<input type="submit" value="Upload" />
</form> 

Does anyone know what im doing wrong? i know this is a simple newbie error, im so ashamed!

change it to this...

<?php
$file_dir = "htdocs/urbantickets/widgetimg";
echo "path: ".$file_array["tmp_name"]."<br />\n";
echo "name: ".$file_array["name"]."<br />\n";
echo "type: ".$file_array["type"]."<br />\n";
echo "size: ".$file_array["size"]."<br />\n";

if (is_uploaded_file($file_array["tmp_name"])) {
move_uploaded_file($file_array["tmp_name"],$file_dir."/".$file_array["name"]) or die ("couldnt copy");
}
}
?>

you have extra quotes in $file_array

2 Things:

1. Use the code /code bbcodes around your code.

2. You need to read about and understand the difference between ' and " and how it relates to string variables, interpolation and array elements.  Your error was obvious and trivial.

thanks to both of you, im still getting errors :

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/vol5/byethost14.com/b14_3115753/htdocs/urbantickets/do_upload.php on line 10

Warning: move_uploaded_file(http://ultimasandbox.byethost14.com/urbantickets/widgetimg/skyrocketpagerank.gif) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/vol5/byethost14.com/b14_3115753/htdocs/urbantickets/do_upload.php on line 10

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpoQuqp1' to 'http://ultimasandbox.byethost14.com/urbantickets/widgetimg/skyrocketpagerank.gif' in /home/vol5/byethost14.com/b14_3115753/htdocs/urbantickets/do_upload.php on line 10

couldnt copy

I believe the first is because i have to make the folder on the server a "write to" folder so it can be accessed?

but im not sure if the other errors point also to this problem....

sorry I'm not familiar with move_uploaded_file(); , not entirely sure what the errors mean.

I'll take a stab in the dark through...

this error...

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration

I'm guessing if you specify the direct path to where you want it to go rather then the URL it may work.

Warning: move_uploaded_file(http://ultimasandbox.byethost14.com/urbantickets/widgetimg/skyrocketpagerank.gif) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in

$file_array["tmp_name"] may not contain the value you think it does?

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move

Maybe the file doesn't exist?

Hi Master ace.

ive tried to assign both the file_dir and file_url variables

to this:

<?php

$file_dir = "/htdocs/urbantickets/widgetimg/";

move_uploaded_file($file_array["tmp_name"],$file_dir."/".$file_array["name"]) or die ("couldnt copy");

}

}

?>

I no longer get the URL permissions errors but get these 2:

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/htdocs/urbantickets/widgetimg//skyrocketpagerank.gif) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/vol5/byethost14.com/b14_3115753/htdocs/urbantickets/do_upload.php on line 11

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpQZWDUt' to '/htdocs/urbantickets/widgetimg//skyrocketpagerank.gif' in /home/vol5/byethost14.com/b14_3115753/htdocs/urbantickets/do_upload.php on line 11

couldnt copy

How does PHP generate this path code: '/tmp/phpQZWDUt' - ?

The error is pretty much telling you what is wrong.  Your destination path/filename is a url for some reason.  It doesn't appear you've provided the code you are using, as it looks as if you somehow are injecting a url into the destination parameter when it should be a simple path and filename on your server.  What is the code you are using right now?

Hi Gizmola, the html is simply:

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="do_upload.php" method="POST">

Please choose a file: <input name="uploaded" type="file" /><br />

<input type="submit" value="Upload" />

</form>

and do_upload.php is:

<?php

$file_dir = "/htdocs/urbantickets/widgetimg/";

}

}

?>

i know what you mean with the URL is basically pointing at the php file, but im a bit stumped on how to change it. i know $file_dir and $file_url are correct.

ultimachris ---

If you really want help, you need to read what is being written to you.  At the top of these posts I asked you to use the code tags around your code.  I inserted them in your original post, but I don't want to keep doing that. 

To answer your question, where PHP sticks temporary files is a function of the php configuration done in the php.ini file.  In your case it is using the /tmp directory on the server.  From there, PHP will simply create a random file name, to obscure what is going on.  You really don't need to be concerned about that.  It is not the current problem.

The current problem is either that the path is invalid:  /htdocs/urbantickets/widgetimg/  or it doesn't like your extra / in the path:  /htdocs/urbantickets/widgetimg//skyrocketpagerank.gif

If you look at your code, you can fix this either in the url variable or by omitting the extra "/" you concat on there.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.