Weird characters from DB

maddogandnoriko

I am building a Television site and have imported an xml page into a simple xml object and put the results into an sql table. My problem is with the "ö" character, although I suspect it will affect other similar characters. When I get the result from the db it is not "ö", but is "ö". I suspect it is my db setup as the row it is in is set to latin1_swedish_ci collation. Should it be something else? I know strictly this is not a php question but sql and php are so closely linked I figured someone here would be able to answer this.

Thank you for your time,

maddogandnoriko

It is happening when I import it into the xml object, I think. Sorry to have muckec this thread up so bad......

For this xml url:http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=krod

The xml:

<Data>
−
<Series>
<seriesid>88631</seriesid>
<language>en</language>
<SeriesName>Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire</SeriesName>
<banner>graphical/88631-g2.jpg</banner>
−
<Overview>
The series follows a reluctant hero named Kröd Mändoon. The often underconfident freedom fighter is the last great hope in the struggle against an evil ruler known as Chancellor Dongalor. To help in his fight, Kröd has assembled a band of remarkably useless fighters. Together, they must overcome a variety of evil obstacles in a quest to save their world. 
</Overview>
<FirstAired>2009-04-09</FirstAired>
<id>88631</id>
</Series>
</Data>

the simplexml object(as print_r'd):

Array ( [series] => Array ( [seriesid] => 88631 [language] => en [seriesName] => Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire [banner] => graphical/88631-g2.jpg [Overview] => The series follows a reluctant hero named Kröd Mändoon. The often underconfident freedom fighter is the last great hope in the struggle against an evil ruler known as Chancellor Dongalor. To help in his fight, Kröd has assembled a band of remarkably useless fighters. Together, they must overcome a variety of evil obstacles in a quest to save their world. [FirstAired] => 2009-04-09 [id] => 88631 ) )

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.