[SOLVED] Select statement with LIKE and wildcards

DavidP123

Hi All,

I've come across an issue with my sql statment. The following statement returns two records:

SELECT `user`.`id` FROM `user` 
INNER JOIN `contact_details` ON `user`.`contact_details_id` = `contact_details`.`id` 
WHERE ((`user`.`username` LIKE '%dav%')
OR (`contact_details`.`business_name` LIKE '%dav%')
OR ((`contact_details`.`firstnames` + ' ' + `contact_details`.`lastname`) LIKE '%dav%')
OR (`contact_details`.`address` LIKE '%dav%') 
OR (`contact_details`.`email` LIKE '%dav%') 
OR (`contact_details`.`postcode` LIKE '%dav%'))
ORDER BY `contact_details`.`lastname` LIMIT 0, 10

if however I change this section:

WHERE ((`user`.`username` LIKE '%dav%')

to

WHERE ((`user`.`username` LIKE '%david%')

the statement only returns 1 record, even though my second record fits some of the OR clauses.

If I move any of the other OR sections to be directly after the WHERE clause the same problem happens with those also.

Would someone be kind enough to explain what I am doing wrong??, and how I might go about altering it so that it shows the two records.

The mysql server version is: 4.1.22

Regards,

David.

Hi

I can see nothing obviously wrong (although unless you wildcard can contain spaces it seems pointless to concatenate 2 fields together with a space in the middle and then check the contents).

Can you post the 2 records that are returned at first, and which is not returned afterwards.

All the best

Keith

Hi,

I've opened the query up a little to bring back the username as well (to help with the identification of which record is actually being pulled back. The results of the original query (wildcard search being: dav) are:

username    id

dave2        42

dave          41

after altering to show 'david':

username    id

dave          41

it strikes me that it should have matched on the firstnames + ' ' + lastname section.

I have expanded the query further to give me the values as you suggest, the concatination returns the value 0 rather than the name,

I used CONCAT( `contact_details`.`firstnames` , ' ', `contact_details`.`lastname` ) instead and it seems to be working, I'll give it a proper test over the next few minutes and then post back with the results

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.