Font Weight

fbm247

Hey,

I have been creating websites for some tiem and usually when adding font styles i assigned font-weight:normal; in the CSS which in previous versions of Firefox and IE has lead the text to look exactly the same.

Now with IE 7 and Firefox 3 i am noticing differences in my font-weight using my same technique so i researched it a little and found font-weight no longer acts correctly in Firefox 3.

Is there a work around for this to get fonts looking the same?

Normal content text is not the problem really. When i create Headings though with font size of say 26px it appears to be really heavy and i want to set font weight to normal or lighter to make it thinner but it doesn't work.

I hope there is a work around as i don't want to go back to the stone age and have to use images for text to get sites cross browser friendly.

Any advice?

Perhaps this article might help you fix your font-weights. http://clagnut.com/blog/2228/

I am skeptical to think IE is doing it right, let alone IE7.  Other issues might be:

-make sure it's the same font, not a default font on each browser

-make sure no zoom is occuring (ALT + 0(zero) to reset in FF)

-Are you resetting all CSS things before adding them, or are you allowing default settings to remain?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.