[SOLVED] Trying to access mysql DB through PHP - Access denied. Err. # 1045

FeralReason

I am a newbie to mysql, running an XAMPP stack on Windows XP as a test environment and am trying to make my first connection to a mysql database using a connection script in "Sams Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache" by Julie Meloni. I successfully built the database, created the user and confirmed the user's existance by looking under the "privileges" tab in phpMyAdmin, where I saw this:

Users having access to "testDB": 

User    Host          Type                  Privileges          Grant  Action

jouser  localhost database-specific  ALL PRIVILEGES  No 

root    127.0.0.1 global  ALL PRIVILEGES  Yes 

root    localhost global  ALL PRIVILEGES  Yes 

Next I ran the script below:

<?php

$mysqli = new mysqli("localhost","jouser","somepass","testDB");

if(mysqli_connect_errno()) {

printf("Connect failed: %s\n", mysqli_connect_error());

exit();

} else {

printf("host information: %s\n", mysqli_get_host_info($mysqli));

}

?>

And then got this error:

Warning: mysqli::mysqli() [mysqli.mysqli]: (28000/1045): Access denied for user 'joeuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\xampp\htdocs\mysqlconnect.php on line 2

Connect failed: Access denied for user 'joeuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Although the author explains that this is the error you get if the connection fails, she provides no clue as to how to troubleshoot this.

Can anyone give me some help ?

That's actually the error when the user does not have privileges to access that database (a connection error message is different.)

You need to execuite the fillowing to actually cause the previleges to take effect (note the Grant = NO value for the user you created) -

FLUSH PRIVILEGES

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.