[SOLVED] SQL error

jrws

Hey there,

I thought I had sufficent protection from crashes, but evidently not,

When I edit news, wich is a simple UPDATE query I get the error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'etty princess )rnseernitrndoesrnitrnwhenrnirntryrntornwriternlikernthis.' WHER' at line 1

etc

However I have protected the input by using this function:

<?php
function clean($string)
{
    if (get_magic_quotes_gpc())
    {
        $string = stripslashes($string);
    } elseif (!get_magic_quotes_gpc())
    {
        $string = addslashes(trim($string));
    }
    $string = trim($string);
    //$string = escapeshellcmd($string);//Uncomment if the website uploading to allows this.
    $string = mysql_real_escape_string($string);
    $string = stripslashes(strip_tags(htmlspecialchars($string)));
    return $string;
}?>

So, why am I returning an error?

Do you want to/need to see the edit page?

EDIT: I was wanting to know why it doesn't escape from the entered data, I have made sure I sercured it..

Someone else (*** see note below) posted that code in this forum not too long ago and I pointed out all the problems in it and posted corrected code - http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,248314.msg1162551.html#msg1162551

Wherever you got that code from, some hacker probably posted it so that he could break into your site/database. I hope you did need to supply any identifying information at the site where you got that from that leads back to your domain.

*** Edit: And in looking up that previous link, it turns out it was jrws who previously posted the same code. If you are not going to use the help you get, bad code will always be bad code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.